Monday, January 31, 2011

Letters, Changes, Photos, & Tests

Isabella's Letter



hola mi familia
Janice thank you for doing my taxes and answering your question i would rather the refund go into my account in utah i have never had a refund acutally but if i do this time i would use it for garments and shoes and my baby tooth that is giving me trouble right now and might fall out or hna marina who is a dentist says that she would rather yank it out and help the tooth beneth come out but in all sincerity i am afraid of medicine here. downloading pics here is a real task. you have to save them by the paint program to shrink them. anyway this week end we had planned 1 baptism her name is gimena or how bolivians spell it Ximena, she 18 her parents are both members that are inactive and forbid her to come and took her to the country for the day so she wouldnt get baptize and indeed they succeeded bc we were left with the faunt full and no investigator. it was a way sad experience. my comp pressured her when the poor girl was afraid of being disowned by her family actually we had a fight about that. i told her its not your baptism, its hers and she should do it when she has the faith enough and the conviction enough to do it. we are to invite. she said she felt the spririt prompt her i said well if by their fruits we shall know them you pushing her didnt give sweet fruit. my comp is strange she cries in the bathroom when i ask her if i have offended her she says no and smiles, then the next minute she starts yelling at me and then the next she is sad again listening to the same song over and over again and then she pretends nothing has happened... it drives me crazy!!ximenas parents have the belief that if you get batized twice then surely God will curse you and your family. thats why they baptized theyre youngest daughter who also wanted to get baptized in our church, catholic when she was 9. its strange to here this customs and beliefs and try to teach them whats right becuase they simply dont believe you. we have 12 investigators from the age of 8 to 16. 14 if we count the two whos parents asked us not to come till febuary. and its a real struggle to get these parents on board. they all have baptismal dates but they dont count bc they dont have parent permission. needles to say i cant wait till transfers this 11th of feb. on a happier note here in bolivia they celebrate alot. and this month and next its carnaval and people grab hoses and water balloons and buckets and wet eachother and in the streets people play instruments and drink and wet everyone especially me! actually anyone who looks foreign ha ha. last week we went to whats called the black jesus it was supposed to be bronze but it turned black with the weather. oh and before i go in tights i am a 14 i want them loose. and if anyone can buy this i would be so grateful in target they have what they call toe toppers where they sell womens socks and a month here i get 550 bolivianos its 80 bucks but like chris said shoes and clothes and medicine is like north american prices so it goes really fast. well i love you all i hope to get mail from you soon take care!
hna florido
Barrio alto San Antonio

Cholita limpiando intestino de vaca

Cristo Negro en Churuquella

El Senor Pedro haciendo adobe

la familia ibarra

Ninos de barrio alemania unida

Our Beautiful Girl!!! Christopher loves her!!!

Vista del barrio Japon

Vista del barrio Petrolero

Vista Del Cristo Negro
Christopher's Letter
Hi,

I hope that all is well. I have learned that our time is very valuable.
That every five minutes has its purpose and that we should always
be doing something constructive, as has instructed Elder Uchdorf.
If we waste five minutes each day, in two years, we have wasted
2 weeks of 8 hour days. 

This week I have had a lot of... tests personally.  I have been honestly
very stressed out, and not to mention that, Saturday and Sunday
I got sunburned really badly and this week I have been a progessing
dermotological disaster.  I am covered with red marks and my face
is bright, bright red.  Like a lolly pop... For real.  Today I went to the
doctor to get blood drawn to assure that it´s not a reaction to something
else. I feel fine, but EVERYWHERE itches.  Everywhere.  It´s horrible.
I feel normal, healthy, but... exhausted.  Haha.

This week I have had every test thrown at straight at my face, suddely.
We have struggled with obedience in many little things(like doing exercise)
and I can see the difference.  I need to focus on diligence and my relationship
with my Father in Heaven.  How important is it to work with the Spirit.  Joseph
Smith said that the first principle in Heaven is obedience and second is 
revelation.  And when you have the spirit and follow it like a treasure map and
find hidden gold, it´s amazing.  Things were revealed that were secret. When
we meet someone, instantly we receive promptings of their necessities.  And
what a blessing it is to be a missionary. I can´t ever forget that God loves me
or any of his children.  But this week I have struggled a lot. And I think I´ve lost
a bit of the zeal that comes with being new.  When you have been rejected so
many times, you try new things and keep reinventing new ways to talk about
the same thing.  And in all of that, you lose the purpose.  The Gospel of Christ
(Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the Holy Ghost) and the Resturation of the Church.

And... in other news, I´m leaving my area Monterrey and going to a new one, which
... is like twenty minutes away.  Haha.  It has a pretty name. It´s called el flor del 
campo or Flower of the Field.  My companion is going to be training and I´m going
to be with Elder Soto de Guate, who arrived the same day as me.  So even though
I´ve had my trials, I´m going somewhere new to start again and find that purpose & zeal
that give fire to the flame of your edurance.  And there I´ll stay.  A worker bee.

Also!  I will tell you that you should be more grateful for your already opened cashews
than you should for the air that you breath.  It is the most difficult thing to succesfully
open a cashew (en español: marañon "ma-ra-nyon" with emphasis over the -nyon").
I almost never want to eat cashews again.  So, my companion and I toasted a few
pounds of marañon, which took approximately 30 minutes or so.  And cashews have
a poisonous oil that can potentially burn you (but not really).  So when you toast them
leaves this oil and it becomes black as you cook the cashew.  You cook the cashew
unil it´s black and then crack it open and eat it.  The thing is I have yet to find a way
to successfully open them raw -- just with a machete. And when they´re not... wet in
the inside, they´re so incredibly delicious.  I don´t like cooking them, because the house
smells like Satan´s bowels afterwards and it´s potentially hazardous, but cashews are
SO delicious.  So, for you, are photos of my 1 hour experience of trying to succesfully 
open cashews.  

I love you!  Pray for me, please.  And thank you for your prayers.
And! If you can, donate money to my "I want to marry some unmarried family" fund.
Thank you!  Mom, I love you and I miss your hugs a lot.  And dad, I really would
have give anything to have gone for a ride with you this week.  I honestly don´t think
I missed home until my 6 month mark.
Also, I weigh 203.  I plan to lose 20 pounds this month of febuary!
Which reminds me... if I lose like 50 pounds, what do we do about clothes?
Just wondering, because I would really like to drop a lot of weight, but if I do
there are definitely some changes I´ll have to make with clothes, so...Yeah
Oh, and yes, I got my package.  Thank you so much. I really like the PJ´s.
Sincerely, Elder Hill
Service 1 mi compa, dos senoras y yo

Service 2 mi compa, dos senoras y yo

Cleaning the Cashews

Oil of Cashew

Cashews a Cocinar

Aawww the House is on Fire!!!

Hello everyone, this is the Mom.  Seeings how it is fast Sunday this up coming Sunday.  I was wondering if we might focus our fast for Chris and Isabel.  I am concerned about their health issues and I sense a little discouragement.  If you can and are willing that would be awesome!  See you next week!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a great idea to fast for them! They're always in our prayers:) love their letters!!!

    ReplyDelete