Monday, March 5, 2012

Miracles and Distractions

Christopher's Letter

Dear Dad and Mom,
This week lots of things happened. I got to know Catacamas! Which is really dangerous apparently.
One of my old companions told me that when he was there, there were gun fights in the streets all of
the sudden. Northamericans are not permitted to go there... But I did! Haha. It was really, really
pretty there yet very hot, like the love child of the Brazilian Rain Forest and the Sahara desert. And
we saw in the market a local seller of meat... without a refrigerator. They had long cuts of muscle
of cow and pig and... armadillo... maybe (they do eat that here). Haha. And they were hanging out in the sun, as if they
were hanging clothes out to dry.

We got to know all of the largest cities of Olancho that day. This week we are going to go to La Paz,
Intibuca, and Comayagua. We are visiting these places because my companion and I and the
Medics are doing house checks. It is neat becase I will get to see all of the areas that I was in
and get to know the entire mission first hand.

As assistents, we can go wherever we want, wherever we want, whenever we want as long as its
directed by the Spirit. It is really interesting to be in charge of 160 missionaries. It is like being
the replacement parents for President Flores and his Wife.

In other news, we are having lots of success in our area as well. This Sunday, we had 4 families
in church. It is a blessing from God really, because we dont have as much time as other missionaries
in that we dedicate from 9 to 4 to bless and inspire changes in the mission, and from 6 to 9 we
work in our area. We are trying our best to bring about miracles to inspire other missionaries.
Now we are working not only for us, not only for the investigators, but also for the missionaries.
I like learning about being a leader. It has been the best blessing of my mission.


So, how are you? Tired of working yet? How is the Spanish ward? I think I will attend a Spanish
ward, too, when I get home. Have you sewn any more, mom? Or have you played the guitar, dad?
I havent been able to practice playing the piano mucho. I can read music now, but just the top line.
Reading them both is really hard. Ha. How are the dogs? And how are grandma and grandpa?
Tell them that I would like to learn how to do Family History with them. Also, I was thinking that
maybe Uncle Jared or Northrop Grumman or somewhere from someone I know, I could try to work
I dont know what I want to do. There was an Elder that told me about Third World Development
and that somewhat interests me. But I feel like being a doctor is a really good idea, too. I will
have to think more about that when I return.

Also, Danielle said she was going to get married... what happened with that ? And how is Zack and
his wife? And Mandy and her husband? And aunt Debi? And how are Mike and Jeff and their
families? And Jen and Jared? And Ted and Jenny? And Amy and chuck? And... everyone?
Tell them I love them. I want to get to know them when I get home.

So, to tell you a little bit about the miracles we have seen...
I have like, 2 and a half weeks and something really wonderful is that
we are teaching half member families, and the fathers are the nonmembers.
I have discovered that the most powerful tools are prayer and sincere testimony.
And being direct with everyone, honest, to the point. So, there is an investigator
who is named Mario Soto. In our first appointment, he said, look I will be honest with you.
I am Catholic and I want nothing to do with the church. I dont want you to waste your
time, but no. I bore my testimony to him and shared my experience of returning to the
church. I invited him to investigating and studying the church with me and he said, ok.
The funny thing is after two visits and teaching the doctrine simply and directly, he wants
to get baptized and learn about the restoration of the gospel of Christ. It is funny how
the spirit touches people. He looks like a different person and has a light in his eyes.
When we are open, god lets us have beautiful experiences like that. Miracles.

Anyway, I love you all.
Thank you for the money.

With love,
Elder Hill
 
No Letter came today from Isabel!  No pictures either!!  I will post again as soon as we here from her!!!
 
This Mom wonders if her son, Elder Hill has any idea the miracle he is and the miracles the Lord has brought about in his life!!!  I hope I recognize this boy of mine in a short five months when he arrives at the airport!!!  I love and miss Chris and Isabel so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment