Monday, August 2, 2010

First Letter has Arrived!!!

So we (Mom and Isabel) are so relieved the first letter from Chris has arrived!  Dad is just calm cool and collected (or at least so he says)!

You can write to Chris at the following address:

Elder David Christopher Hill
Honduras Comayaguela Mission
Provo Mission Training Center
2005 North 900 East
Provo, UT 84604
United States of America


I hope you all of you will write to him and encourage him in what he is doing!

Here is the letter he sent:

Prepared by:  Elder Hill
Date:  07/28/2010

Mission Day 1 of MTC 1

Dear Everybody,

     After the first day at the MTC, I am extremely tired yet restfully alert (now in my dorm room).  There are four persons per dorm bunk bed style.  I can't wait till breakfast tomorrow.  A walk a way from our dorm/room is a set of vending machines that are stocked with a few different microwave pizzas, soda, gatorade, candy, and ice cream, which makes me wonder, how in the world will I lose weight here with only 30 minutes to work out?  Who knows?  But I do know that God is graceful and loves me.  It will test my faith.  Please pray that I won't get fatter (for the sake of my clothes' sake).

     Today we did an orientation in three parts: 1) on the computer, 2) a meeting much like a devotional by the MTC Presidency & Relief Society.  In which we found out that there are with no exaggeration hundreds here, from all over the world.  The Lord's work is real & moving forward;  3) a late-night tour of the campus (which led straight to our rooms.)

     My companion's name is Elder Delahunty, who's from Draper, Utah.  He's nineteen and has a bright spirit, a sociabely pleasant personality, and a smile all of the sisters comment upon how much they like it.  Ha ha.  We did a variety of things today:  had our first Spanish lesson, spent time in 3 rooms, each with prospective investigators, volunteering to try to create a spiritual experience for them.  For lunch, we were served "Malibu Chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, a pasta salad, cantoloupe, greens with 1 (one) cherry tomato.  Of all the vegetable & fruit salads i took three.  And  tomorrow I'll probably take five.  The "standard" is all-you-need-to-eat, and the salad bar is three things:  greens, ranch, carrots, celery, & croutons....weird, but remember that I am still so grateful to be here.

     We learned today that the most important word in the Book of Mormon was to:  remember.

_________________________REMEMBER__________________________


Remember your purpose, your savior, his death, his sacrifice, where you came from, and you are, were, & have always been.  It's short, sweet, simple, and beautiful.

It was a good day.

Love,  Chris

P.S.  Call Isabel and read this to her.  I love you all so much.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm glad you got your first letter! Just curious, can we email him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if his email is set up or not. I wrote to him tonight and asked about the email, so as soon as I know then I will let everyone know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome. I love letters from missionaries. Chris is right about the word remember. It really is the most important word in the scriptures because it is what we have the hardest time doing.

    ReplyDelete